A manufacturing company located in a small rural town needed to hire a CFO. Finding qualified applicants who were interested in living in a small, remote location was a challenge. Warren Whitney’s Paul Shelley was contacted to recruit for the position.
Paul used the following approach to fill the position. He:
- Held several meetings to define the position: including duties, responsibilities, skills, type and level of experience required, and other pertinent information.
- Advertised the opening through many outlets, including:
- One-on-one networking/recruiting that may yield qualified candidates.
- Review of applicant databases available to Warren Whitney.
- Internet searches and postings using industry association sites, including Monster, CareerBuilder, HotJobs, and/or others.
- Posting opening on Warren Whitney’s website.
- Industry publications and associations, as necessary.
- Screened candidates by telephone and personal interviews.
- Referred qualified candidates to the client for interviews and selection.
- Checked references on final candidate(s), including criminal background checks.
- Helped in final negotiations and transition to the new position.
The position was filled within one month after the assignment began, with a candidate who was a good fit for the organization and who was pleased to be in the location.