Our client, Green Top Sporting Goods, is a privately held outdoor fitter based in Ashland, Virginia. Since 1947, the company’s product offerings have expanded from the small gas station storefront to overtaking the 55,000 square foot location off Interstate I-95.
As the incoming Controller, this individual will be responsible for overseeing all financial aspects of the business. These responsibilities include maintaining relationships with outside financial resources, working with the management team to determine the strategic direction of the Company, using financial analysis to help the CEO and other managers make good operating decisions, and ensuring the timeliness and accuracy of financial statements. The ideal candidate is an experienced financial professional who is a “roll up your sleeves,” team leader with a track record of successfully collaborating with peers and executive leadership. In addition to the day-to-day responsibilities, the Controller role manages a team of three finance associates. As a key member of the leadership team reporting to the CEO, this position is best suited for a professional with the desire to progress into the role of Chief Financial Officer.
• Take an active role in establishing and carrying out the strategic direction of the Company
• Provide financial analysis to help managers make better operating decisions
• Prepare financial projections
• Track industry trends and best practices
• Negotiate health and other group insurance packages
• Negotiate general insurance packages
• Become an expert in using Green Top’s accounting system
• Work with the CEO to ensure month-end and year-end closes are accurate and on time
• Work closely with Green Top’s accounting and tax advisors to ensure they have accurate information for tax return preparation and the annual review in accordance with GAAP
• Ensure accurate and timely filing of all types of taxes: payroll, sales, etc.
• Complete the monthly accounting cycle, to include bank reconciliations and other monthly working papers
• Maintain strong relationships with external financial resources
• Ensure external resources receive timely and accurate financial information needed
• Maintain / strengthen Green Top’s position as an industry leader
• Ensure that internal financial statements are prepared accurately and on time
• Ensure that there are adequate internal controls to protect the Company’s assets
• Conduct a periodic risk analysis to identify key risk factors
• Ensure that information systems are adequate for the needs of the Company
• Bachelor’s degree required with 5-7 years of direct accounting experience
• CPA strongly preferred
• Retail accounting experience is a strong plus, but not required
• Understanding and adherence to traditional, family business atmosphere
• Demonstrated experience working in a core values-based work environment
• Excellent customer service skills
• High personal standards for work ethic and quality of work
Competitive Compensation Package including base salary and extensive benefits.
To be considered for this immediate opening, please send your resume with salary requirements to hr@WarrenWhitney.com. This position will remain open until filled.
EOE. On behalf of its client, Warren Whitney reserves the right to alter, change, modify and/or terminate this job posting at any time without notice, or obligation, to any party. Due to the volume of candidate applications, Warren Whitney will only be contacting those candidates who meet all qualifications of the position.